Image by Travis S.
The Tabernacle was built between 1864 and 1867.
For 132 years this was the meeting place for the LDS General Conference.
In 2000, A modern Conference Center was built just in time for the Winter Olympics.
The ceremonial awarding of the medalists were held in the newer Conference Center.
The Tabernacle was able to hold 8,000 people which included the choir and the gallery. The new Conference Center can hold up to 21,000 people.
Aside from a larger seating capacity, the seats in the Conference Center are also much more comfortable than the traditional wood pews of the Tabernacle. This is even after the building was refurbished and rededicated by Gordon B. Hinckley in 2007.